- A paid organizer, Cipriano Vargas appears on the banner masthead of the Center for Policy Initiatives -CPI. Vargas authored “DEMANDS” to “Dismantle the racist Street Gang and Gang Intervention Units”.
- Vargas authored DEMANDS cuts of 54.9 million from local police budgets.
- Vargas called law enforcement “a resource to intimidate the community”
- Vargas called School Deputies a “school to prison pipeline”
- November 15, 2019, Cipriano Vargas not only made the motion to fire school resource officers (SROs) from Vista schools, he cast the deciding vote to fire our school deputies.
- Vargas was quoted saying, “The emotional stress and anxiety” that students face because of the presence of law enforcement, “Negatively impacts the learning outcomes of all students.”
- Cipriano Vargas is endorsed by politicians and organizations who also support defunding the police.
Related News and Sources
Invest in San Diego Families
CPI People’s Budget FY 2022
CPI People’s Budget One Page FY 2022
Vargas implies that Vista Law Enforcement Officers are a resource to intimidate the community
Cipriano Vargas uses the phrase, School to Prison Pipeline to refer to Law Enforcement Officers
Cipriano Vargas Fires School Resource Officers 11 14 19 Audio Board Meeting
Vista Unified Passes Resolution Embracing a New Border Vision
ACCE: Cipriano Vargas